The Government has taken several steps to increase power generation capacity of renewable energy sources. These include:
• Fiscal and financial incentives, such as, capital/ interest subsidy, accelerated depreciation, concessional excise and customs duties;
• Preferential tariff for grid interactive renewable power in most potential States.
• A minimum percentage for purchase of electricity by distribution companies from renewable energy sources.
• Guidelines by CERC to SERCs for fixation of preferential tariffs.
• Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission to give a boost to deployment solar photovoltaic as well as solar thermal systems.